CHICAGO (October 18, 2017) — At the National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) annual show in Chicago this week, industry leader Mars Wrigley Confectionery U.S. will share insights for retailers from its recently announced “Omnichannel” category approach as well as exciting new products and line extensions. Top new products being featured at the show include: Alert™ Caffeine Gum, EXTRA® Chewy Mints, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® Sweet Heat, DOVE® Chocolate-Covered Dusted Nuts, and SNICKERS® Peanut Butter Crisper.
“Mars Wrigley Confectionery is more focused than ever on delivering on-trend product innovation, production and packaging that drive sales and grow the total category,” said Timothy LeBel, President of Sales for Mars Wrigley Confectionery. “We have our pulse on what motivates consumers to make a purchase, including health and wellness preferences, wanting to moderately indulge, or the desire to try a unique flavor. At NACS, we’re excited to give attendees a sneak peek at more than 20 new products and packs delivering on these needs.”
Mars Wrigley Confectionery will also share information on its evolved holistic category management approach. “Consumers are willing to spend, especially on categories like confectionery, but understanding the way people are shopping in a rapidly changing market is critical to category growth,” said Tiffany Menyhart, VP of U.S. Category Leadership at Mars Wrigley Confectionery. “With our combined global research and insights, Mars Wrigley Confectionery has developed a keen understanding of how the consumer shops our category to create a more enjoyable shopping experience that will ultimately increase sales for retail partners.”
Mars Wrigley Confectionery is also announcing continuations of several successful in-store promotions, including:
- NASCAR “Celebrate Race Day with M,” an in-store promotion featuring M&M’S® Brand Candies (and others) on NASCAR-themed displays to build excitement around the season and drive sales
- 2017 NFL Promotions with SNICKERS® and SKITTLES® NFL® Fantasy Lineup and a new Super Bowl joint-selling program with instant-win prizes
- “Chew to a Better You,” a gum-focused health and wellness promotion that encourages consumers to incorporate sugar-free gum into their health and wellness routine
New items Mars Wrigley Confectionery will display at the NACS Annual Show include:
- 5® Gum introduces 99-cent 8-stick packs, available exclusively during the 2018 Truth or Dare program: For the 5th straight year, 5®Gum Truth or Dare is back to help bring teens and young adults back to the gum category. For the first time, 5® Gum is bringing a new $0.99 pack available exclusively as part of 2018 Truth or Dare prepacked displays. Available flavors include New Cool Mint, Cool Berry, and Smooth Mint. (September – December 2017, $0.99)
- Alert™ Caffeine Gum gives adults an innovative, simple and portable alternative to energy drinks, coffee and soda. One piece of Alert Caffeine Gum provides 40mg of caffeine, about the same amount as half a cup of coffee. Alert is available in Fruit or Mint flavors and can be purchased at retailers nationwide. (September 2017, $2.49)
- COMBOS® Honey Sriracha is a flavor combination that delivers a well-balanced, sweet honey with garlic and chili pepper Sriracha flavor taste buds will love. (December 2018, $1.38)
- DOVE® Chocolate-Covered Dusted Nuts will debut in 2017, featuring three variants within our dusted nut collection, including cashews dipped in milk chocolate dusted with sea salt, almonds dipped in dark chocolate dusted with cinnamon and cashews dipped in dark chocolate dusted with cocoa. (December 2017)
- EXTRA® Chewy Mints is extending into the Mints category with the launch of new EXTRA Chewy Mints in two flavors: Peppermint and Polar Ice. EXTRA Chewy Mints are chewable, sugar mints packed with all the flavor and freshening power of EXTRA. Each mint has a thin crispy outer shell and a chewy freshening core that delivers an instant rush of flavor and freshness. (December 2017, 1.5 oz. durable plastic pack $2.19, and 7.5 oz. pegged stand-up bag $6.99)
- goodnessKNOWS® will be expanding beyond the traditional fruit and nut line adding six new flavors to the line-up in 2018. These savory new flavor combinations are the perfect balance of sweet and salty, with less than 150 calories per single pack and no added sugars or sodium. The six new flavors include:
- Peanut Butter Crunch
- Nut & Sea Salt
- Maple Cinnamon & Almond
- Honey Almond Bourbon Vanilla
- Mocha & Almond
- Oats Raisins & Almond
- JUICY FRUIT® Collisions is bringing the power of 2-Flavors-in-1 to stick gum in 2018. With 2 flavors colliding in every stick, it will be an exciting taste explosion with every chew! Available in Strawberry Watermelon and Tropical Berry flavor collisions. (May 2018, $1.19 in 15-stick single-serve pack, $2.69 in a multipack with three 15-stick single serve packs)
- JUICY FRUIT® Mixies is debuting with four fruity flavors in each bottle containing a mix of Original, Strawberry, Watermelon and Grape flavors. (December 2017, 15-piece single serve bottle $1.49, and a 40-piece bottle $3.49)
- SNICKERS® Peanut Butter Crisper is a new offering debuting in December that provides the perfect balance of sweet, salty, creamy and crispy. The satisfaction of real peanut butter with the crunch of crisp, it comes in four portionable squares that fans are sure to love. (December 2017)
- SNICKERS® Hunger Bars will debut three new flavors in 2018 for a limited time as part of the Hunger Bars promotion. When you’re hungry, you lose your flavor—what makes you, you. Get your flavor back by trying a new SNICKERS® Espresso, Fiery, or Salty & Sweet. Each flavor has a hunger symptom on the outside of the packaging that relates to the flavor of the bar – Espresso: Irritable; Salty & Sweet: Indecisive; Fiery: Wimpy.
- SNICKERS® Brand 2017 NFL® Hunger Bars will hit shelves this NFL season as an extension of the popular “Who Are You When You’re Hungry?” campaign. NFL-themed “symptoms” will be on the packaging of singles and share size bars. (June – December 2017)
- SKITTLES® Sweet Heat is spicing things up in December 2017. Each pack features fruity flavors with a spicy kick including: Fiery Watermelon, Blazin’ Mango, Flamin’ Orange, Sizzlin’ Strawberry and Lemon Spark. (December 2017, single pack $0.99, share size pack $1.79, laydown bag $3.19, and medium stand up pouch $2.59)
- SKITTLES® Trick Plays. Skittles is adding a fun twist to the popular football strategy with Skittles Trick Plays. NFL fans will be kept guessing when the colors on the outside of the candies don’t necessarily match the flavors on the inside. Available for a limited time only, Trick Plays will be in stores just in time for the 2017 NFL season. (MSRP $0.99)
- STARBURST® Minis Sours is building on the success of Starburst Minis Original. Each pack includes a mouth-puckering mix of flavors including Cherry, Blue Raspberry, Watermelon and Strawberry. (December 2017, single pack $0.99, peg bag $2.09, and medium stand up pouch $2.59)
- STARBURST® Sweet Heat is getting a spicy new twist in December 2017. Each pack includes a mouth-puckering mix of flavors including Cherry, Blue Raspberry, Watermelon and Strawberry. (December 2017, single pack $0.99, share size pack $1.79, laydown bag $3.19, and medium stand up pouch $2.59)
- New Items for Halloween 2017 include: M&M’S® Brand White Pumpkin Pie Candies Harvest Blend, M&M’S® FUN SIZE Lovers Variety Mix Stand Up Pouch Maltesers FUN SIZE Medium Bag, M&M’S Peanut Chocolate Candies Ghoul’s Mix Share Size, DOVE Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate Ghosts, M&M’S FUN SIZE Pretzel & Crispy Chocolate Candies Medium Variety Bag, and SKITTLES Cauldron.
- New Items for Christmas 2017 include: CELEBRATIONS® Brand Medium Bottle, M&M’S® Brand Caramel Chocolate Candies, DOVE® Brand PROMISES® Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate Mint Cookie Gifts, M&M’S Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Candies 4-Pack Tube for the Holidays, MALTESERS® Brand Gift Box, M&M’S® Brand Peanut Chocolate Candies Share Size, M&M’S® Brand Mint Chocolate Candies Share Size, M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Candies Naughty/Nice Mini Tube for the Holidays, M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Candies 10-Pack Mini Tube Train for the Holidays, TWIX® Brand White “Twix-mas” Laydown Bag for the Holidays, DOVE® Brand Truffle Tree Tins for the Holidays, and SKITTLES® Original Ugly Sweater.
- New Items for Valentine’s Day 2018 Line Up include: M&M’S® Brand Caramel Chocolate Candies Cupid’s Mix, CELEBRATIONS® Medium Bottle, DOVE® Brand Silky Smooth Assorted Chocolates Premium Extra Large Heart Tin, FUN SIZE® Chocolate & Sugar Valentine Exchange, DOVE® Brand PROMISES® Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate & Dark Chocolate Swirl Hearts, DOVE® Brand PROMISES® Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Love Birds, M&M’S® Brand Triple Chocolate Candies Cupid’s Mix, DOVE® Brand Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate Gift Message Bar, M&M’S® Brand Minis Milk Chocolate Candies Mini Tubes, LIFE SAVERS® Message Hearts and Rings Game Book, SKITTLES® Original Heart, SKITTLES® Wild Berry Fun Size Valentine’s Exchange Kit, and DOVE® Brand Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Heart Singles.
- New Items for Easter 2018 include: M&M’S® Carmel Chocolate Candies, DOVE® Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs, DOVE® Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate Truffles Carrot Patch, M&M’S® Brand FUN SIZE® Milk Chocolate Candies Egg and Peanut Butter Egg Tins, DOVE® Brand Solid Milk Chocolate Bunny Ears, and STARBURST® Minis & Beans.
For details, retailers can contact Mars Wrigley Confectionery representatives and visit www.marspresskit.com.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles—Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom—inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.